Form and Function Come Together at Perkins+Will
Perkins+Will is a global, growing architecture and design firm founded on the belief that design has the power to transform lives and enhance communities. So when it came time to design a new workspace for their Seattle team it was crucial that the solution met their current and future functional needs and their demanding design aesthetic. In a smart move, the design for Perkins Will's new Seattle workspace was handed off to the Vancouver team to bring a little outside objectivity and to keep the project moving forward.
From ‘Built-in’ to “Built for us”
The Seattle team’s previous office space was dominated by built-in workstations, fixing the team in place and limiting expansion and flexibility. The solution designed by the project team transformed the workspace and delivered:
- Individual flexibility – height-adjustable benches let the team move from sit to stand throughout the day to keep the creative juices flowing and promote well being.
- Team flexibility – benches were installed in packs of eight with six workstations and two conference ends that could easily be reconfigured or added to.
- Tailored storage – credenzas were designed and built specifically for Perkins+Will to display and store plans and other creative essentials.
- Power and data – all wiring is stored out of site in a raceway that opens from the top for easy access.
- Sleek, uniform privacy – integral fixed-height privacy screens in shades of grey provide a unified, refined look.
"The benches practically build themselves. The installers love it and so do our clients when we give them a big credit on estimated installation costs."Heather Plettschet, Systems Source